Post-Judgment Enforcement & Contempt

Post-Judgment Enforcement & Contempt Services

Once an order has been entered, whether a divorce decree or child custody order, both parties are required to comply with an order. When a party is not doing what he or she is ordered to do, you have a right to seek enforcement of the order. Attorney's fees and costs are often recoverable in these types of actions.

These types of actions are used for the following:

1. Custodial Interference - Your ex is not following the court-ordered parenting plan. 

2. Nonpayment of alimony or support

3. Your ex did not obtain refinancing of the marital residence as ordered

4. Your ex did not transfer the title to the vehicle as ordered

Navigating Post-Divorce Judgment Enforcement in Nashville, TN

Going through a divorce can be a challenging and complex process, and obtaining the divorce decree is often a relief. However, sometimes, the journey doesn't end with the final judgment. If you're facing issues with the enforcement of your divorce judgment in Nashville, TN, you're not alone. This post is here to guide you through the process of enforcing your divorce decree and ensuring your rights are upheld.

Understanding Post-Divorce Judgment Enforcement

Post-divorce judgment enforcement refers to the legal process of ensuring that all parties comply with the terms set forth in the divorce decree. This can include various aspects such as alimony payments, child support, custody arrangements, and division of property or debts.

Common Enforcement Issues

  • Non-payment of Alimony or Child Support: One of the most common issues is the failure of an ex-spouse to make timely payments for alimony or child support.
  • Non-compliance with Custody or Visitation Schedules: Another frequent problem is when one parent does not adhere to the agreed-upon custody or visitation schedules.
  • Property Division Disputes: Disputes may also arise regarding the division of assets or debts as stipulated in the divorce decree.

Legal Solutions for Enforcement

  1. Contempt of Court: If your ex-spouse fails to comply with the divorce decree, they can be held in contempt of court. This is a legal finding that someone has willfully disobeyed a court order and can result in various penalties, including fines or jail time.

  2. Wage Garnishment: For unpaid alimony or child support, wage garnishment can be an effective tool. This involves a court order that directs an employer to withhold a portion of the non-compliant party's wages for payment.

  3. Enforcement of Custody and Visitation: If there are issues with custody or visitation, the court can order make-up visitation time, modify the custody arrangements, or in severe cases, impose legal penalties.

  4. Property Liens or Seizure: If the issue involves the division of property, the court can place liens on property or even order the seizure and sale of assets to ensure compliance.

Why Legal Assistance is Crucial

Navigating post-divorce enforcement can be complex and emotionally taxing. Here's why having a skilled divorce attorney is crucial:

  • Expert Guidance: An experienced attorney can provide expert guidance on your legal options and the best course of action based on your specific situation.
  • Legal Representation: In cases where court intervention is necessary, having legal representation ensures that your case is presented effectively and your rights are protected.
  • Reducing Stress: Dealing with non-compliance can be stressful. A lawyer can handle the legal processes, allowing you to focus on moving forward with your life.

Remember, you have legal rights and options if your ex-spouse is not complying with the terms of your divorce decree. At Burdine Law Firm, we understand the challenges of post-divorce enforcement and are here to help you navigate this process. Contact us for a consultation, and let our experienced team in Nashville, TN, provide the support and legal expertise you need during this time.

Burdine Law Firm Is Here for You

At Burdine Law Firm, we are here to provide you solutions that put you on a trajectory for a brighter future.

Contact Us Today

Burdine Law Firm is committed to answering your questions about law issues in Nashville, Tennessee and surrounding areas.

We'll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.